Boston Centers for Youth & Families (BCYF) Adult Education programming builds invaluable skills for life and work.
They offer a flexible and supportive approach focused on their students. Programs take place at many BCYF community centers in Boston. Each year, thousands of adults take part in BCYF education programs, including:
- studying for and taking the HiSET or GED high school equivalency exams to expand career prospects
- taking English as a Second or Other Language (ESOL) classes
- taking citizenship classes to become empowered community members
English As A Second Language or Other Language
They offer English as a Second or Other Language (ESOL) classes at all levels. This includes those with little or no knowledge of English, to those able to conduct simple conversations. They make these courses available at five BCYF community centers:
They also offer ESOL classes at English High School and the Mario Umana Middle School Academy. BCYF Jackson/Mann Community Center offers a unique family literacy program. Parents and children can take part in classes at the same time.
High School Equivalency
They offer High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation classes to adult learners at all grade levels. These classes help prepare you to take the HiSET or GED high school equivalency exams. They prepare you to understand the concepts stressed in the exam and build on your knowledge. The goal is to give you the ability to earn scores that exceed passing requirements.
Their courses are becoming more focused on online learning and testing. This will help you build the computer skills to succeed in higher education and the modern workforce. Online learning also provides flexibility for students to access a quality education from their local community center or home.
Lots of Options
They are proud that BCYF was one of the first agencies approved to offer HiSET neighborhood testing sites in the state. They administer the HiSET exam to more than 800 candidates each year. You can take the HiSET or GED exams at a number of different times and locations. They are also the only GED testing site in Boston and the only HiSET paper testing site in Boston.
BCYF Adult Education and Testing Locations
- BCYF Blackstone
- BCYF Marshall
- BCYF Curtis Hall
- BCYF Hyde Park (closed for renovations)
- BCYF Jackson/Mann
- BCYF Mattahunt (closed for renovations)
- BCYF Mildred Avenue
- BCYF Paris Street
- BCYF Perkins
- BCYF Roslindale (closed for renovations)
- BCYF Shelburne
- BCYF Vine Street
COVID-19 current status:
- Programs and classes: BCYF community centers are offering a limited many of programs and classes for pre-registered participants. They continue to expand the many of offerings as they are able to in accordance with public health guidelines.
- Meal distribution: select BCYF locations are meal pick-up sites. You can learn more and find a location online.