MJE was founded by mothers who had lost children to community
violence. Their founders sought to share their voice and vision to the
fight against violence.
- All events are currently via Zoom
- You Matter: Personal Leadership Training, the core of MJE’s
- Youth Peer Leadership program
- Workforce Readiness Initiative, provides coaching and mentoring
(provided by past participants) as well as job search assistance,
resume and interview prep. Mothers are expected to secure
employment and/or continue education within 12 months of
enrolling in the program. Much of their current staff are past
program participants and they have strong community
relationships allowing them to place both adults and youth in jobs
outside of the agency.
- Financial Literacy curriculum involves working with incarcerated
individuals at the Suffolk County House of Corrections to expand
their impact to address the needs of young adult incarcerated
men coming back into the community
- Health and Wellness workshops involve curriculum and activities
surrounding trauma and resilience, healthy relationships,
physical and mental health, and healing through art. MJE
partners with the Grove Hall Senior Center to provide Health and
- MJE provides services through the Neighborhood Trauma Team.
Services include case management, neighborhood canvassing,
and linking survivors of violence to a larger network of trauma
- MJE has an Emergency Funds Program, which helps to provide
food, winter coats, gift cards, and rental assistance to people in
need. MJE also helps to provide their members with computers.
- MJE has access to spanish-speaking translators
- MJE is leading parenting trainings for parents of youth attending
Boston Public Schools.
- MJE responds to emerging needs by designing specific modules
for unique populations, such as a new Homeless Teen Mothers
and Fathers program in partnership with area shelter services.
- Empowerment breakfasts, Corner Café Voter Engagement, an
annual Mothers of Courage Award Ceremony. These events are
currently held virtually, due to COVID19.
MJE provides services at their main location in Roxbury and also
within the Suffolk County House of Corrections, in area affordable
housing complexes, and at partner sites within their communities.