MJE was founded by mothers who had lost children to community violence. Our founders sought to share their voice and vision to the fight against violence.
- You Matter: Personal Leadership Training, the core of MJE’s educational programming
- Youth Peer Leadership program
- Workforce Readiness Initiative, provides coaching and mentoring (provided by past participants) as well as job search assistance, resume and interview prep. Mothers are expected to secure employment and/or continue education within 12 months of enrolling in the program. Much of our current staff are past program participants and we have strong community relationships allowing us to place both adults and youth in jobs outside of the agency.
- Financial Literacy curriculum involves working with incarcerated individuals at the Suffolk County House of Corrections to expand our impact to address the needs of young adult incarcerated men coming back into the community
- MJE is leading parenting trainings for parents of youth attending The Mildred School as well as offering our Youth programming at The Mildred School and Codman Academy for Education Programs are organized under the Civic Leadership Academy, utilizing MJE’s You Matter Curriculum. Classroom education is provided to groups at our main Roxbury location twice annually and at strategic partner organizations monthly throughout the year. You Matter curriculum is also incorporated into our year-round Youth Peer Leadership program.
- MJE responds to emerging needs by designing specific modules for unique populations, such as a new Homeless Teen Mothers program in partnership with area shelter services.
- Empowerment breakfasts, Corner Café Voter Engagement, an annual Mothers of Courage Award Ceremony
MJE provides services at our main location in Roxbury and also within the Suffolk County House of Corrections, in area affordable housing complexes, and at partner sites within our communities.